Lawyers for Liberty is seeking applicants for the position of Research Officer to support its work through human rights and legal research for its campaign and advocacy work.
Position Title: Research Officer
Employment Type: Full time, 1 year contract (subject to initial 3 months’ probation)
Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Work experience: Preferably 1-2 years, however fresh graduates are welcomed to apply
Education Level: Law graduates preferred but any relevant field is welcomed; experience and track record in research and other writings required.
Start work: January 2019
Who We Are
Lawyers for Liberty is a non-profit human rights and law reform initiative which seeks to protect and promote human rights and access to justice through legal representation and intervention, monitoring and documentation of human rights violations, advocacy and campaign for the respect of rule of law, good governance, improved legal and criminal justice system, and standards in the conduct and policies of the Home Ministry and its agencies, and constitutional reform. The initiative is not limited to purely legal work but also advocacy and campaign through Parliament and the wider civil society community including youth and community groups, the Bar Council and NGOs.
The incumbent would carry out the following responsibilities under the supervision and direction of the organisation’s Executive Director:
Advocacy and Campaign
• Develop and coordinate advocacy and campaign strategies and actions, events and budget management, research and policy analyses and other projects;
Communications & Media
• Strengthen existing and explore new platforms and channels of communication;
• Create content suitable for sharing via social media and the internet;
• Draft media statements, reports, articles and other materials;
• Monitor progress against milestones and deadlines through regular reporting;
• Carry out any other reporting and tasks as required;
Required/Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Aptitude
• Excellent writing and research skills;
• Knowledge in social media, content development and innovative digital tools;
• Fluency in English both written and spoken;
• Fluency in Bahasa Melayu would be highly advantageous;
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
• Ability to work well in a team with a positive attitude;
• Meticulous and able to work with minimum supervision and meet deadlines;
• Strong integrity and a commitment to professional excellence;
• Able to travel, work flexible hours to accommodate developing and urgent events.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter detailing your suitability for this position and a curriculum vitae containing the contact details of two referees who can attest to your academic/ professional experience and character via email to [email protected]