A post-term on Mohd Hanafi Omar, one of the three youths killed at Glenmarie last year, shows that he had died from three gunshot wounds, says the family’s lawyer.

PETALING JAYA: One of the three youths who were shot dead by police last year in Glenmarie had died from three gunshot wounds – two to the cheek and one to the chest – which was fired at a 45 degree angle.

This finding, said the family’s lawyer, reaffirmed that the three were murdered by police in cold blood.

The post-mortem report on Mohd Hanafi Omar, 22, was released to the press by lawyer N Surendran today outside the Petaling Jaya police headquarters.

The family had lodged a fresh report urging the police to open an investigation of the case for murder.

Previously, the post-mortem reports on Mohd Shamil Hafiz Shafie, 15, and Mohd Khairul Nizam Tuah, 20, indicated that they were shot at close range.

The family believed that gun shot residue found on one of the boy’s jackets and the angle in which the shots were fired showed that the police may have forced the boys to kneel.

“Hanafi’s post-mortem coincides with what we believed all along – these were shots to kill these youngsters. If the purpose was to stop them, one shot is enough. Why was Hanafi shot so many times? Are they trying to stop a 600-pound gorilla? I’m not sure,” said Surendran, who was with the family today.

“Police said they were bank robbers, but there were coins and RM2.40 in Hanafi’s clothes. Where’s the cash then? The police version is unbelievable,” said Surendran.

False information

He also added that the chemistry report showed bullets from three different types of pistols, indicating that there were more than one policemen who had opened fire.

He said that the police should open an investigation paper and classify it as murder.

Surendran also wanted the police to investigate deputy Selangor police chief SAC I A Thiaveegan for giving false information in a criminal investigation.

Thaiveegan, then acting as police chief, had defended his officers’ actions by describing the three dead as “seasoned criminals”.

“He should be investigated under Section 201/203 of the Penal Code and his men under 218 for lodging a false report on what actually happened,” he said.

PKR vice-president Nurul Izzah Anwar, who was also present, asked if the police force had a “shoot to kill policy”, saying this amounted to a criminal conspiracy to cover up.

She said she would be bringing this case up to Parliament when it reconvenes.

“The prime minister, home minister and the Inspector-General of Police must give us immediate answers. They are trying to cover this up and not following it up at all. This is a clear-cut murder case… it looks like our youths are being killed right in front of us, and they say nothing? Are they simply just believing the lies spewed by the police?” asked Nurul.

‘No closure for family’

Petaling Jaya City Council member and PKR legal director Latheefa Koya said that police have halted investigations after Thaiveegan’s statement that the killings were justified.

“There has been no closure for the family; if the authorities don’t do anything, we don’t know what we’ll do next. Is this how police investigate? Put people under Emergency Ordinance or just shoot to kill?” she said.

The Glenmarie shooting has been highly publicised, and this was the third time the families of the the three youths are lodging a report.

Several memorandums have been handed to the police, who promised to look into the matter. Recently, the Selangor police had suggested an inquest but the family refused, saying they wanted nothing less than a murder investigation.

On Nov 13, the three youths were gunned down in Jalan Kerjaya, Glenmarie, after they were alleged to have robbed a petrol station in Jalan U1/1 nearby.

In the incident, the police claimed the three youths were members of the notorious “Geng Minyak” and were wanted for preying on petrol stations in isolated areas.

The trio were apparently fleeing the scene when they bumped into a team of policemen who were patrolling the area.

A car chase ensued. When the car skidded and stalled by the roadside some 2km away, the police said the trio alighted and tried to assault them, forcing them to open fire.

By Teoh El Sen | August 11, 2011