KUALA LUMPUR: Suara Keadilan, the official mouthpiece of PKR, was raided this morning by a group of six policemen.
The web portal reported that six policemen raided its office, checking computers at about 10.15 this morning.
“They [the police] are an investigating team from Johor Baru,” the website said, adding that the raid was in connection with Tian Chua’s statement on Lahad Datu which was uploaded by Keadilan Daily on March 1.
Yesterday, the PKR vice-president was charged with sedition at the Sessions Court for allegedly attributing the bloodbath in Lahad Datu to an Umno conspiracy.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Yusaini Amer Abdul Karim claimed in court that Tian Chua committed the offence when he labelled the Lahad Datu intrusion as an Umno conspiracy, adding that the incident had raised questions and doubts on Umno’s “shadow play” (wayang mainan).
Tian Chua was also charged with describing the Sulu gunmen’s incursion as a government plot to frighten the people and for alleging that Umno was trying to divert people’s attention from the issuance of identification cards to foreigners in Sabah.
Some of the remarks were published in a Keadilan Daily article titled “Insiden Tembak-Menembak Konspirasi Umno” dated March 3.
The web portal also said several Suara Keadilan staff were on duty at the second floor of the building in Jalan Metro Pudu, Cheras, when the police came knocking.
“They notified the staff that they were there to confiscate computers which were used to upload the Batu MP’s statement. They also showed a warrant allowing them to search the premises,” the portal said.
Written notes
However, lawyer Latheefa Koya, who was contacted by the portal staff, told them to tell the police to deal with her.
“After contacting Latheefa, the policemen then said they wanted written notes of Keadilan Daily reporter Aisha Geoffrey, who was called twice previously to the Petaling Jaya district police headquarters to give her statement.
“However, Aisha was on leave today. The police then left without taking anything after half-an-hour and told the staff that they will wait for Aisha to return to work,” the portal said.
The website also said the police have ordered Aisha to submit her notes which contain Tian Chua’s statement at the Pudu police headquarters.
The order was given after they failed to seize computers at the office.
Another lawyer, Eric Paulsen, who came to the office after being told about the raid, contacted the police personnel involved and was told to bring Aisha to the Pudu police headquarters.
At around 12.40pm, Aisha, accompanied by Eric and Keadilan Daily editor Fazallah Pit, went to the police headquarters.
Meanwhile, Fazallah, when contacted, confirmed the raid.
“Although all they wanted was the notes of our reporter, they were still searching for materials in our office.
“Aisha and Suara Keadilan have both agreed to produce the notes on Tian Chua’s statement they requested for, but the raid continued.
“Aishah was on leave and she returned to the office to assist in the investigation. However, the police did not want to leave the office.
“Finally, they left without taking anything,” saiid Fazallah.
Written by, Alyaa Azhar and Priscilla Prasena (Free Malaysia Today)