Datuk Seri Khairuddin Abu Hassan and his lawyer Matthias Chang have vowed to fight on for the truth after they were charged for attempting to sabotage banking and financial services in the country.

Clad in orange lockup uniforms, both of them were escorted into the Magistrates Court while waving and exchanging greetings as they were applauded by family members and supporters upon making a grand entrance.

“I refused to change. We are innocent until proven guilty. This is the fifth day of my hunger strike,” Chang, 65 blurted out in the courtroom.

“I will fight until the end,” said Khairudin, 53, the former Batu Kawan Umno vice chairman while pointing at his handcuffs.

The charge was read to Khairuddin in Bahasa Malaysia while Chang who seemed irritated requested for the charge to be read to him in English.

During the proceeding, Deputy Public Prosecutor Mohd Masri Daud requested for a month to prepare relevant documents to sanction the charge under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (Sosma).

Counsel Haniff Khatri Abdulla however objected and requested for bail if Khairuddin and Chang were to be charged under the Penal Code or the case should be transferred to High Court today.

Magistrate Siti Radziah Kamardin fixed Oct 26 for re-mention of the case.

This led to the filing of review at the High Court over the Magistrate’s Court decision by the defence team.

However, this was rejected a few hours later.

“We were just informed by the registrar that our written application for the judge to review the decision this morning has been declined,” said Haniff.

He added that they now had two options- to take it up further to the Court of Appeal, or to write a formal written application before the High Court to challenge to ruling.

“We intend to write the letter hopefully latest by tomorrow afternoon and hope to have the hearing tomorrow or Thursday,” he added.

The duo were charged under section 124 (L) of the Penal Code for attempting to commit sabotage read together with Section 34 of the same act which carries a maximum jail sentence of 15 years, if convicted.

Both of them are charged for jointly committing the offence between June 28 and Aug 26 at Paris Police Station; Charing Cross Police Station, London; Switzerland Attorney General’s office Bern, Switzerland; WaiChan Police Station, Hong Kong; and Cantonment Police Headquarters, Singapore.

Also seen present were Khairuddin’s wife actress Datin Seri Umi Khalsom Rahmad Ali, 42 also known as Umie Aida escorted by family members.

By Firdaous Fadzil, The Star Online

[update] Both have been released on bail by the High Court since the 18th of November 2015. Trial to commence in the Sessions Court next year.